Energy Companies Obligation (ECO)

Help from your energy supplier


The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government scheme created to provide support to improve domestic energy efficiency measures like oil, LPG & gas boilers, electric storage heaters, cavity wall insulation, solid wall insulation and loft insulation to low income households.
The big six energy companies along with the large energy suppliers (with customer base of over 250,000) like First Utility, OVO Energy and Co-Operative Energy are required to improve the overall energy efficiency of households.

The current version of ECO which is known as ECO2t will run until September 2018, supporting low-income households by improving their domestic efficiency measures.


Help from your energy supplier: the Affordable Warmth Obligation


You might be able to get help for energy-saving improvements to your home if you either:
claim certain benefits and live in private housing (for example you own your home or rent from a private landlord)
live in social housing



You may get help with the cost of:

  • Replacing or repairing your oil boiler, LPG boiler Gas boiler and electric storage heaters – or other upgrades to your heating
    insulation work, for example to your solid walls cavity walls or loft
  • If you claim benefits and live in private housing.



You might be eligible for help if you live in private housing and get one of the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Guarantee Credit – you won’t be eligible if you only claim Pension Savings Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • If you claim Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit your eligibility will depend on your income.



If you rent you must have the owner’s permission to do the work.



Social Housing


If you’re a social housing tenant.

If you live in social housing that has an energy efficiency rating of E, F or G you might be eligible for help with insulation or installing a heating system for the first time.


You can use the energy performance certificate register to find your property’s energy efficiency rating, or ask your landlord or housing association.


Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO)

Under the Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO), energy companies provide insulation and heating improvements to qualifying low-income and vulnerable households in private rented or owner occupied properties.

There are eligibility criteria for this scheme, based on income, receipt of benefits and tax credits.


Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation (CERO)

Through the Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation (CERO), energy companies provide funding for wall and roof insulation measures and connection to district heating as primary measures and other secondary energy efficiency measures where a primary measure is installed. 

The CERO is available to all households in any housing tenure that can receive qualifying measures.


Check Eligibility and Apply

Contact Golden Globe Ltd for a free survey in order to find out if you’re eligible for help. Golden Globe Ltd will guide you how to apply if you’re eligible

Check Now